Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Tea n' biscuits


So now that the Bean has been eating solid foods for a month or so, I've been on the lookout for some nice hard biscuits or cookies for her to chomp on while she's teething. All the usual suspects, upon close inspection, had some ingredients that I wasn't comfortable with. So, I set out in search of an organic teething biscuit that didn't contain a lot of added sugar, trans fat, or potential allergens. Even the health food section of my usual grocery store, where I've been able to locate lots of great organic babyfood, didn't have anything.


I did find a recipe for hard toast made from non-wheat bread dried in the oven, but that was rather boring for her and she lost interest quickly. I also tried frozen mini-bagels: no dice.

I finally came across
Healthy Times Organic Teething Biscuits yesterday in the health food section of Hannaford. They're a hit with the Bean, and they contain:

Organic Wheat Flour, Organic Unsulphured Molasses, Organic Cold Pressed Sunflower and/or Safflower Oil, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Flavor, Vitamin E . (Dairy free, soy free.)

It's great that many mainstream grocery stores are now carrying this type of food. I try to feed the Bean organic food with no fillers, etc., whenever possible - I can only hope she'll continue to eat healthfully when the choice is hers to make.

I picked up some Cadbury Creme Eggs for myself on the way out too. Do as I say, not as I do, Baby.

2 comments:

NuttyMeatfruit said...

LOL the last line seals it! Do these organic teethers get any less slimy than good ol' Zwieback?

Erin Cavanaugh said...

Never tried the Zwieback, but they do get kind of wet and gooey. Bean had brown biscuit residue all over her after her first one. It's not too slippery, though - she was able to hold on to it well (except for the time it was stuck to her bib and should couldn't find it). They taste good too (not super sweet like a cookie) - I tried a bite when she was finished. Waste not want not...