Saturday, March 17, 2007

I heart DST

So, I was a bit concerned (i.e., obsessed) about how the Bean would react to her first Daylight Savings Time (DST). Since it was "spring" ahead, I figured she'd go to bed a little later and therefore sleep a little later at first, but I wasn't sure how it would all play out in the long run. As any parent of an infant knows, anything that messes with baby's sleep is, quite literally, a nightmare.

These days, Bean usually sleeps 7 PM - 6:30/7 AM. So, on the first night of DST I kept her up until close to 8, and she slept until about 8 the next morning. I gradually got her bedtime back to 7, but for the past two days she's still slept until 8! And she's had a two-hour nap instead of her usual one-hour nap each morning. (I'm knocking on wood with each keystroke...praying that the very act of putting this phenomenon in writing doesn't jinx me.)

I'm not sure if it's DST or a growth spurt or a passing fluke or...maybe, just maybe, she'll be a 7 PM - 8 AM baby. I know, I know, flying pigs and hell freezing over are not in the forecast for today. But this momma got two hours of work done before the Bean got up yesterday and stayed in bed until 8 today - and I'm holding on to the dream.

2 comments:

Jasmine said...

Ah, those pre-baby-wakeup, early morning hours are GOLDEN (most productive for me anyway!) *crossing my fingers for a 12+ hour sleeper!*

Erin Cavanaugh said...

Yeah, I jinxed it. The same night I made that post she was up from 1:30-3 AM. *sigh*